Saturday, June 23, 2012

So, What's the Point?

So, why choose O.I. for my presentation?
I was going to do it on American Sign Language, because I am so interested in it and want to learn it after I graduate. But then I looked through the example binder of O.I., and realized I had to change my topic. I know a family who has dealt with this for the length of their oldest son's life, and I have watched it for that whole time. It has always broken our hearts when we heard about another fracture or flying out to Omaha for another surgery, being in another wheelchair, etc. Their interview is below, here.
I also realized, even though we've watched this boy's experience, I had NO idea what O.I. actually was! I began the basic research, and realized that I had no idea what it actually meant. Now I'm on a roll, and it's become almost an obsession to find out as much as I can about this disease. I have the attitude of wanting to fix something that hurts people that I love, and this is no different. I want to continue my research, even after this project, to find out all the information on fighting this disease that I can.

No comments:

Post a Comment